Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Prong Setting

Prong Setting

I came across a prong setting tutorial while surfing pinterest.  Being a visual person, I love tutorials with video.

I decided to give it a try since I had this pretty moss agate stone that I thought would look best in a setting that allowed light to pass through.
 I used my pliers to bend two pieces of 20 ga sterling silver wire into "w" shapes.
There was a little jumping during soldering, so the bottom join overlapped a bit.  I decided to keep going with it rather than attempt to unsolder it.  It looked a little like a stick figure person.
I centered the setting on the stone and used a sharpie to mark where the prongs would be bent.
After using my pliers to bend each prong 90 degrees, I trimmed them so they were even and filed the ends.  Then I popped the stone in.
Each prong was burnished over the stone and the piece was strung on a sterling silver chain.

It turned out pretty well, but I think next time I would make six prongs for an even more secure setting.

It was a great tutorial and I am glad I came across it.  I will probably try this again with an irregular stone.






No comments:

Post a Comment