Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Deconstructed Dalek


I really enjoy drawing on metal using a rotary tool.  I was thinking about drawing more daleks and decided I would make a piece with a series of links.  Each link would be an up-close snapshot of the different patterns and textures.


I started out by selecting a few irregularly shaped pieces of copper.  After hammering them flat, I filed and sanded the edges and corners.
I drilled holes in each corner and sanded the faces of each link.  Then I used a rawhide mallet and a stake to slightly curve the pieces.  I used a graphite pencil to sketch out the drawing and engraved every other piece.
Using liver of sulphur, I oxidized the pieces.
I buffed the engraved links so that the faces became shiny again, but the engraved grooves stayed oxidized.  The other links were engraved so that the faces were oxidized and the engraved lines exposed the shiny copper.
I made copper jump rings by coiling copper wire around a dowel and cutting the rings off with a jeweler's saw.
The engraved links were attached using the jump rings.  On the end I also attached a copper hook that I made.

 Ta-da.



1 comment: