Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Starry Night Brooch

In my exploration of adding color to metal, I came across the technique of using colored pencils and thought I would give it a try.  Here is what I came up with:
To make this brooch, I started by sawing out a 20 ga square for the base and a thinner 24 ga shape for the dark tree in the foreground.
 I hammered texture onto both pieces and formed the tree shape to have a series of ridges so the finished piece would be more 3-D.  Then I sweat soldered them together.

For the pin mechanism, I soldered two copper tubes to one corner and a wire hook to the opposite corner.

This is what it looked like before I added the actual pin.

I used liver of sulphur to oxidize the copper, then cleaned it up  by scrubbing with a brass brush.

I used prismacolor pencils to add some color.  They are pretty subtle, which works in this case.  If I wanted them to be more intense I would have painted a base layer of gesso first.
The final step was to use a rotary tool to scratch away the areas of the brooch where I wanted to shiny copper to peek through.



No comments:

Post a Comment